Monday, May 29, 2017
This squash bread is very popular in the Philippines back then. And this is one of my favorite bread at my local bakery when I was a kid. Im so excited to share it and I hope you like it too..😊
For the dough.
3 1/2 cups Bread flour
1 tsp dough conditioner (optional)
1/2 tbsp yeast
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup very warm whole milk
4 tbsp melted butter
2 large eggs
For the filling
1 cup bread flour
1/2 granulated sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1) Sprinkle a 1 tbsp sugar into the warm milk then add in the yeast whisk in then, set it aside.
2) Combine all dry ingredients. Flour,granulated sugar,dough conditioner and the salt.
3) In a bowl pour in the milk mixture, and in the melted butter then the dry ingredients and lastly add in the eggs.
4) Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough into another bowl greased it with vegetable oil and let it rise for 2 hr or until it has doubled in size.
5) While the dough is rising. Lets make the filling combine flour and sugar then, add in the butter and the vanilla extra if using mix it using a hand or a fork until the mixture become a wet sand.
6) After 2 hr deflate the dough to get rid of some air pockets. Then divide it into 50 oz each.
7) Its time to shape the dough. Roll out the the divided dough with a rolling pin to flatten it out then, take a 1 tbsp of the filling and put it in the middle take both ends and pinch it to sealed. Using a kitchen scissors make a 4 cut first then make another 4 cut in the middle a total of 8 cuts.
8) Cover it and let it rise again for 1 hr.
9) Pre heat you oven to 350 degrees F.
10) Before baking brush it with egg was. Take 1 egg and add in 1 tbsp of milk and then whisk it. Bake it of 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Sunday, May 14, 2017
350g Cake flour
250g Bread flour
300g Granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter melted or very soft
1/3 cup vegetable oil
For The Meringue
3 Egg whites
1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
50g Granulated sugar
1)Pre heat your oven to 525 F
2)Prepare the mold I use ensaymada mold or brioche mold. Grease it by brushing a vegetable shortening then, sprinkle it with flour and tap it to get rid of the excess flour.
3) In a sauce pan combine the evaporated milk and the sugar bring to the stove and cook it over
medium high heat just until sugar has dissolved. (3 to 5 minutes)
4) Combine dry ingredients both flour, Baking powder and the baking soda.
5) Add in the butter into the milk mixture. stir it until its well combine and lastly add the oil.
6) In a large bowl whisk in the egg yolks until slightly pale color. Then slowly add in the milk mixture and continuously whisking.
7) Lets make the meringue. In a clean bowl pour in the egg whites and add in the cream of tartar. Beat it until its frothy. Then slowly add in the sugar while continuously beating, beat it until you reach the stiff peaks stage.
8) Sift in half of the flour in to the milk butter and oil mixture. and slowly fold in using a spatula then add the other half.
9) Take 1/2 of the butter and fold it into the meringue. Then add the rest fold in until its well combine.
10) Fill in the prepared mold half way of the mixture and tap it a little bit.
11) Before baking, make an X mark on the top of the batter. Using a piece of clean cardboard and dip it to the vegetable oil. This will give the torta a crack on the top.
12) Bake it 5 to 7 minutes till the top has risen. Then lower the temperature to 350 and bake it until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If your torta gets darken fast tent it with aluminum foil to prevent from burning.
enjoy it with coffee in the morning 😋