Tuesday, March 13, 2018
Filipino Pineapple pie Bakery style.
This recipe is requested by one of my youtube viewers. The original recipe is only called for Tang pineapple but I did not follow all the recipe. I made some changes on it. When i use to lived in the Philippines, I always saw this in my local bakeshop but never liked the taste on it. No wonder it doesn't taste good because there is no real pineapple on it. It just has water, tang pineapple, and cornstarch. This one taste way better.
*For The Dough/skin*
5-1/2 cups Flour
1/3 cups Granulated sugar
1 tsp Yeast
1/2 tsp Salt
2 cups Warm Milk ( I used whole milk)
*For The Pineapple Filling*
400 Ml Water
1- 20 oz can crushed Pineapple
450 grams Granulated sugar
4 tbsp stick butter
150 ml condensed milk
16 oz cornstarch
500 ml water
1 tsp Yellow food color
1) Take 1 tbsp of sugar and sprinkle it to the warm milk, then add in the yeast whisk, and set it aside until its foamy.
2) Combine flour, sugar and salt.
3) Combine the milk and the flour mixture, and add in the egg. Mix the dough until smooth and elastic ( I had my bread machine knead my dough, so while my bread machine is mixing my dough I prepared my filling). But if you don't have bread machine just finish knead you dough then, cook the filling).
4) In a large wok, combine 400 ml water, pineapple, sugar, condensed milk, butter and food coloring. Stir and bring it to a boil over medium high heat.
5) While waiting for the mixture to boil, combine 500ml water, and cornstarch whisk it with wire whisk.
6) Once the pineapple mixture is boiling add in the cornstarch mixture and stirring constantly until the mixture it thicken like a paste. Then turn off the heat and continue to stir for additional 5 minutes.
7) Sprinkle some flour into your work surface. Roll the dough into 22 inches long and 16.5 inches wide. Sprinkle a flour on your baking panned cover the pan with the roll out dough (my pie was a little bit thick if you want your to be thin you can use bigger baking pan).
8) Add in the filling to the prepared baking pan level it, and cover the top with the dough. Cut the edges and pinch all sides. Take 1tbsp of milk and add 1 drop of food color with until this two is well combine. Brush the top of the pie with it. Take a fork and poke some holes on the top of the pie.
9) Bake this in a preheated oven 350F for 30-35 minutes. After baking let it cool down for 30 minutes before cutting it into a triangle shape.