Monday, February 19, 2018
for the dough
2 cups Glutinous rice flour
1/2 Sweetened coconut or desiccated coconut
1 cup Water
For the sugar coating
1 cup Brown sugar dark or light
1/2 cup Water
3 cups og vegetable or canola oil for frying
Bamboo skewers (optional)
1) In a large bowl combine the flour and the coconut. Add in the water in 3 addition mix well until it form like a dough. (if your dough is too dry add 1 tsp of water at a time. If its too wet add water 1 tsp at a time until you reach the right consistency of the dough. But I find the wetter the dough the better.)
2) Lined a baking pan with parchment paper or foil sprinkle it with cornstarch if using foil to prevent the dough from sticking.
3) Add 3 cups of oil into the frying pan let this heat up over medium high heat.
4) Now shape the dough into a bowl I use small ice cream scooper to get the same sizes. Once you shape the dough into a ball put it into the baking pan that you line with foil or parchment paper.
5) Fry each ball until its start getting golden brown about 6-8 minutes stirring constantly . ( to prevent from the dough bursting or popping make a whole by inserting a bamboo skewers or a toothpick. Also if your dough is a little bit wetter it burst less.)
Prepare the syrup:
1) In a pot combine the water and the brown sugar bring it to a boil over medium high heat for about 6-8 minutes or until the mixture has bubbled up.
3)You can just serve like this or you can put them in a bamboo skewers.